11-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
If you look at the Victorian era pictures to be fat was to be considered successful. I guess the entire world not just the US is successful.
Back then it meant you could afford to eat more than you needed. Statistically in the US today the lower your income the more likely you are to be fat since the cheapest food is the worst for you. A bunch of grapes is a few dollars but eight bags of butter lovers popcorn is only 97 cents at Wally World.

The cheap shit is cheap because it's full of corn, which Humans couldn't originally digest by the way, and yet almost every processed food has corn in it. Coke is sweetened with corn syrup, fried foods are fried in corn oil, and most potato chips ARE corn. We feed it to our livestock (they aren't supposed to eat it either) before processing them and since this is our food economy, we grow pretty much only corn here.

Fun fact: despite the variance in brands, packaging, preparation, even taste, all boxed, bagged or canned foods are produced by one of four firms.

As someone who eats healthily in this country I can tell you that it is fucking hard and expensive. I don't see a reason to get fat because of this (you will not gain weight without putting more food than needed into your body, this is the bottom line, It won't happen) but it doesn't help. Corn blows. Fresh green veggies and grass-raised meat, people!
Appreciate 0