MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Anyone here got the skinny on CF card speed? Do the higher speed (90MB/s) cards make that much of a difference? Is the difference in writing or just in transferring images to the computer? I need to stock up on some CF cards before we start traveling this summer and Adorama has a sale going on this week. I'm just debating on whether or not to go with the 90MB/s cards or just go with the 60MB/s cards. I don't shoot video or high speed continuous stills, so I'm thinking I won't notice a marginally slower write speed.
I made a whole bunch of tests lately with SD cards tho. I had some no name chinese 32gb class6 that I paid $20 each on ebay. I was experiencing heavy buffering issues when shooting over 130 shots on the same card. They were in fact 2gb cards mislabeled but thats another story.

I bought two sandisk extreme video at 30mbs and two sandisk ultra extreme at 95mbs and the only pro that I can give to the ultras are the buffer clearing speed when going in continuous mode.

Both gave similar results when tested with an external drive and a test tool.

For $230 for 2x32gb at 95mbs, thats a really good buy. But now I have a sh*t load of storage lol. Luckily for me the d800 takes both cf and sd.

If you are not shooting video or long sequence (7+) shots, dont spend your paycheck on memory. But if you can afford it, good storage can last a loooong time. And I find it useful not to have to take out the computer everynight on holidays. You just swap the card and voila!

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0