05-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #3261
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Anyone here got the skinny on CF card speed? Do the higher speed (90MB/s) cards make that much of a difference? Is the difference in writing or just in transferring images to the computer? I need to stock up on some CF cards before we start traveling this summer and Adorama has a sale going on this week. I'm just debating on whether or not to go with the 90MB/s cards or just go with the 60MB/s cards. I don't shoot video or high speed continuous stills, so I'm thinking I won't notice a marginally slower write speed.

it depends how you use them. if you are not shooting high fps or video, the 60MB/s are fine. my laptop HD is not that big, so I can fill it fast unless I start culling during the trip. cards are cheap. you don't want to run out. vacations are expensive. you only have one opporunity to get the shots. i always have 4 cards with me. you can buy a card transfer device like the epson p-7000 at B&H for about $700 i think. you transfer them all to it until you get home.

I have four of the 60MB/s and 4 of the 90MB/s, all 16GB. If I am shooting with the 1Div, 1Diii or 7D, i use the high speed cards. When I shoot with the 5Dii or give my kid a card for the 50D, it is a 60MB/s. I shoot a lot of bird shots and sports, so I want all the speed I can get, but I am running 10 fps in RAW.

Last edited by surlynkid; 05-07-2012 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0