05-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
I asked this question in another post but never got an answer. I'm considering getting the Helix fmic but the only thing that concerns me and Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe this fmic overlaps or covers up about an inch of the lower radiator. A lot of people say this is no big deal or it's nothing to worry about but I haven't seen anything explaining why this doesn't matter. Considering that BMW offers a secondary radiator with their performance chip, it seems that they think the main radiator is already stressed and working to full capacity which makes me think that every square inch of it needs to be available and not obstructed in any way. I'm no expert or anything and not trying to knock the product; I'm just curious about this and wondering if anyone can elaborate on this at all?
It is the oil cooling that is compromised in these cars NOT the coolant/radiator. In the case of the Helix we have several hundred fmics out in use and have never heard of any issues with coolant temps, and many of the cars are used for motorsports ie road course , auto cross and cannonball style racing. In any regard the way a heat exchanger works is off of the temperature difference of the cooling air and the temperature of the radiator behind it, in this case there is still a huge temperature differential between the 220 degree + coolant temperatures and the heated ambient air exiting the back side of the FMIC! We try to create the best flow possible through the core by using rounded header bars that give the ambient air direction as well as lessening pressure drop on both the ambient and charge sides of the core ie an engineered solution to minimize/eliminate any potential issue in this regard!
Appreciate 0