07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
...BMW needs to give us more standard options ...Europe gets so many more options than we do. Audi again for instance lets you get Nappa leather in a standard A4 for only $600 pounds more than their basic leather (in England and other European countries) but in the US you have to get the S4 to get that leather. I would pay that in a heartbeat if it was available here. Same goes with BMW, why not offer their nicer leather in a 3 series, I bet a ton of people would pay $1,000 for it and you know their cost is not that much. Its not going to canabilize sales of anything either.
I suspect it has to do with the way cars arrive on dealers' lots here and with the way cars are bought here. So many folks lease rather than buy their cars. If you have a car that has a lot of "options" on it but those options have no real value in the wholesale market, it's not to the dealer's advantage to have them on the car. Leather for example, is leather, in the wholesale market, regardless of what color it or whether it's nappa or diamond coated, or split grain crap. It's still just leather.

Also, Americans mostly just want boring ass colors -- beige, black, grey -- on their interiors. American are too worried about what someone else might think. For example, look how few folks chose red as the seat color for their e92, yet it the only color unique to the e92 (within the 3 series). How many folks are getting the F30 sport line and choosing the red interior, even though it was never before offered for the 3er sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Makes me wonder if the reason they make individual orders so complicated and don't offer more luxury items that Europe gets is because in the US you can back out of the purchase at any time before you take delivery. They can require a $2,000 deposit but if the car comes in and you don't like that color you can just say no I don't want it, and they are required by law to give you your $2,000 back! even if its an individual order (unless they have a way around that law that I am unaware of).
That may be. Or it could be because Europeans appreciate being individual and not being just like everyone else. Typical American mother's comment: Stop that! You don't anybody else doing such and such.... Well, that's mostly because everyone else is too chicken shit to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0