View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #209
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Growing up in Texas, it's hard for me to understand why that would make you uncomfortable. Teachers go through extensive background checks, I'd feel totally fine with my child at a school where there was the possibility of teachers being armed. Besides, around here, there are so many CCL holders that there is pretty much someone 'packing heat' no matter where you are. Would you be for, or against, armed security guards at school?
First, teachers are placed in potentially day-to-day high-stress situations where the use of lethal force should not be the primary (let alone secondary) reaction to that stress (unlike a police officer).

Second, it's too easy for teachers to misplace their guns when they're distracted by 20-30 kids, each doing their own thing.

Third, you're putting guns within reach of emotionally-charged, probably-less-than-rational chidren.

I would be for security guards, because their sole job is to protect (and they can focus on protecting the school); a teacher's primary job is to teach, which is hard enough without putting a gun in their hands. I also would be for giving teachers access to non-lethal weapons. Might not have helped in this case, but it's better than nothing and at least would have given the teacher/admins killed in this case something to fight back with (i.e. better than going in there unarmed).
Appreciate 0