United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
^ niiice!

QUestion for those that read "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson- howcome he used f/22 and even f/32 in some portraits printed in his book? Even the "who cares" apertures like f/8 and f/11 were used as well. Can someone shed some light on this?
I haven't read his book, but there's a lot of discussion on the internet about him pooh-poohing diffraction as an important consideration in digital photography. Generally, most of us stay at f/16 and larger, lest diffraction starts softening IQ.

I've seen a demonstration of diffraction with some excellent lenses, like my 500mm f/4, and it does really start to show it head at f/16 on many sensors, like the Canon 7D, with really high pixel-density. For wildlife and bird photographers, like me, it gets aggravated because we sometimes crop quite heavily to make the subject large in the frame.

For landscapes, if you want to slow the SS, then stop down to f/16 and then add a ND filter if you need to get even slower. For an absolutely pristine image that can be blown up 200%, stop at f/11 and use an even darker ND filter.

Dave