United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Dave,
I think your review of the combo made people question their finances.
I like the part about the focusing speed, I could use that.
Well, good news my friend, the focusing speed is all in the body and that's "only" $7,000! The 5D3 is plenty fast with a bare f/4 lens, but it starts slowing with a 1/4x TC and crawls, at times, with a 2.0X. I've got the Series III TCs. I could hardly tell a difference in the AF speed with my Series I 500mm vs. the S-II 500mm. The S-II 500mm supposedly has a slightly better IQ, particularly with the 2.0X, but I didn't see that.

So why buy the S-II 500mm, because it's 1.5-lbs lighter and has two-stops stronger IS.

So, buy the body first and upgrade your lens later.

Big caution, if you don't shoot sports up close or indoors, or wildlife with big super-teles, stick with the 5D MkIII. In challenging situations, that demand high ISO, fast AF, precise AF and occasional bursts of incredible speed, the 1D X is king and it's not even close competition, but if you don't need all of that, then the 5D3's files are as good below ISO 1600 and almost as good at ISO 6400, it's AF is very, very good with bare lenses with native apertures at f/4 and f/5.6. It'll handle f/8 AF in a pinch, but don't expect it to lock on in one or two tenths of a second, like with the 1D X.

I just paid for two cabins for a cruise from Venice to Barcelona, so mine will have to wait a bit, but I'm getting the 1D X for sure. The lens will follow, but I'm not quite in the rush that I was. The body is a sea-change and the lens is an incremental improvement.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 08-11-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0