General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
It depends how you define refinement Pete.
I guess I'm thinking motor industry reference/measure of NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness). To me low NVH is part of what makes a quality car.

Hence why I see a 535i as a pretty refined vehicle, smaller rims and more rubber helps.

Cars have got so much better over the years, for NVH, but doesn't always come cheap. Takes lot of serious development and typically means building better quality (many areas) into a vehicle.

Then we get something like the F30 which can have loads of tyre roar and excessive wind noise... to me a backwards step. Is that cutting corners? Lack of quality? Or is 'refinement' in those areas not so important in the 3-series segment? I don't know the answer, but it is indicative of lack of quality to me.

If tyre and wind noise is typical of 3-series models, then the 5-series is definitely of higher quality in those areas.

HighlandPete
Pete, I understand where you're coming from but I would try to separate quality from the designed spec. For example, the E30 would not possibly compete with a modern car for NVH, but the 'quality' in my eyes (possibly with rose tinted specs!) of the build was better than my F30. Mercs of that era too... They just had that 'bank vault' feel that had you thinking they would last forever.

Whether it's by design or as a result of modern construction techniques that allow for more efficient build cost I've no idea. Or perhaps modern recyclable plastics are just inherently more creaky!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0