12-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #80
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrack View Post
Excellent post, karussell, thank you so much for posting all of this invaluable information. I am currently debating between the F82 and F80 for two reasons.

First, this will be my 3rd M3 or, first M4 that I would track. I find the seating position and ample helmet room of the F80 M3 to be somewhat compelling. However, my understanding is that a slight nod goes to the M4 in terms of overall handling. The higher roof line brings the center of gravity up a bit in the M3 with a corresponding affect on polar moment of inertia. I don't mean to cast any aspersions on the F80. Both the F80 and F82 are viable options I/M/O.
Just wondering what you're impressions are of the two, and how they compare on the track.

Second, back to seating position. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I have long arms. I have sat in both the F80 and F82 with my Bell G2 helmet. The M3 has no interference regardless of seat back adjustment or tipping the entire seat fore or, aft. The M4 is another story. If i adjust the seat flat on the floor with the seat back adjusted for proper purchase on the steering wheel, there is minor helmet interference with the roof liner near the upper door frame. Mildly distracting. If I run the seat just a little forward, I begin to get major interference from both the top and side of the roof liner. Moving the seat further forward would be unlikely, but, it does limit some potential adjustment options. In the past I have always liked to sit as flat on the floor as possible. Much prefer the ability to individually control the lower cushion of the seat separate from the seat back. This could never be done in the M3/4 and, still can't with the current generation. After a couple of test drives in the M4, I noticed that it is really necessary to have the whole seat tilted slightly back to keep me in the seat. Luckily, I am friendly with my salesman and he let me take a few sharp diminishing radius turns to give me some insight. Although, I prefer to be a bit more upright. In the "tipped," orientation I do find the benefit of no helmet interference. So, karussel after this rather long winded description my question is: What seating position do you prefer in you're M4? I noticed from some of the photos you posted, it looks like you have pretty good helmet to roof liner clearance.

It's time for me to place my order. Trying to make the right decision. Thanks in advance for any feedback. It is greatly appreciated
First of all M3 vs. M4. I can't tell a difference between them driving. Both are completely mental. I do feel like I'm sitting higher up in the M3 with same seating position.

I have plenty of head clearance in either car but i'm 6ft. my codriver is 6ft6 and he fits in his stock 1M just fine with helmet. Maybe i can ask him how he does it for you.

My preferred seating position is fairly upright in this car but as low as possible. With your height i suggest regardless of the vehicle you choose to get your head as low as possible. 2 things happen. 1st you are forced to look up and not down in front of you. This is great for moving your eyes way down the track. 2nd its safer and lower center of gravity. In the race car we have cushions for each driver and i prefer to sit in a little more tilted position without pinching my legs. 1.5 hours in a race car at a time you want maximum comfort. So if driving with a slight tilt works for your comfort and you end up sitting lower looking up more then it sounds like a win-win.

unfortunately that won't help with your M3 vs M4 debate. good luck! can't go wrong with either or both!