Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvo9 View Post
I was in a barbershop last weekend getting a haircut. 3 chairs away, there were 2 customers talking about car.

- Female A has a Miata, and she praised how much better it is comparing to her previously owned Z3. She said the Z3 cost so much money for repairing and maintaining, and mockingly said BMW stands for Break My Wallet.

- Female B added to the conversation by saying how many more broken down BMW she saw on the side of the road vs other brands.

I did not say anything and just smiled, but it gets me thinking.

When I decided to get the BMW 1, and my bother-in-law asking why I get such an unreliable and high maintenance vehicle. I told him I like the car, and that's all matter. I have CPO on the vehicle until December 2017. If it's that bad, I'll trade it in.

I am a big fan of couple with usable back seats. I had a Scion tC, and MINI Cooper, but the BMW give me a lot more power than both, and I like the style of BMW 1 a lot more. I think I have found the perfect couple with the BMW 1. I plan to keep the 1 for a very long time.

My question to the community is: Is BMW that bad of a brand, for the first thing I hear from many people is how unreliably it is, and how expensive it is to maintain?

I obviously haven't owned BMW for that long. For those of you having multiple BMW, and different generations, what are you inputs?
I rather have a BMW broken down on the side of the highway than with a Nissan or Kia...
I've owned 4 BMW's going on the 5th...never a major problem...minors? for sure...it is a moving computer...with lots of complexities...but, it is still a state of the art vehicle...
with all do respect to all the ladies out there...they usually drive the car to the ground before knowing it requires maintenance...my wife for example...mostly drives the car without even looking at the gas tank?! ...once it starts beeping she comes to me, that the car needs gas!!
moreover, I know many people who hesitate in acquiring those add-on maintenance packages once their car passes the free 3-4 years package...so they are literally on their own...of course it is an expensive car and if you have to pay from your pocket, it will Break your Wallet and Heart (BWH!), but this goes without saying that if you take care of it, it will ride with you.
Those two ladies deserve to ride a Miata and Daewoo...
That's my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0