spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir View Post
"best DSLR camera" Canon 1D MkIII

but coming from a point and shoot a Rebel XTi should be plenty good. or a nikon D40x
hahaha i love how you refer him to a 4500 camera.

In my opinion, the image quality the xti produces is amazing (probably why Canon's new 40D uses the same sensor). My downs about the xti though are that its small and the body is plastic; feels too much like a "toy" in my opinion(why I went with my Canon 20D a few years ago).

if you do go with the xti, I really REALLY suggest you do not go with the camera with the kit lens (the package with the 18-55mm lens). the lens that it comes with it is garbage in my opinion. I suggest you get the xti just body only ($529 at amazon.com) and invest your money in a great lens.

I do not personally own this lens but I find myself barrowing my uncle's 17-40mm F/4L lens quite often (Canon's L line of lens carries a better build quality [weather proof] and captures very beautiful contrasting colors). If you are going to be taking pictures of your car, a wide angle lens like the 17-40mm is great especially since the xti does have a 1.6 crop factor. Even if you're not going to ALWAYS be shooting pictures of your car, keeping this lens on your camera is great when you're at family gatherings and such.

HOWEVER, Canon's L line of lens do not come with a cheap price. the 17-40mm lens is $630 at amazon.com. Yes is more expensive than the camera itself, but you have to understand that the lens will not depreciate in value as much and as fast as the camera does. But in my Opinion, $630 for this lens is a GREAT value. For what you get out of this lens, it's worth every penny.

The reason why I went with the Canon 20D was because they didn't have the xti at the time; only the Rebel XT. I knew if I went with the rebel I would have to upgrade really soon. However the xti pack a lot more heat compared to the xt and I really recommend the xti for people getting into the dlsr world. but you really have to get to understand how your camera works and all the functions of it to produce better pictures(so no staying on that little green box that stand for automatic mode). Having a DSLR doesn't give you better pictures; The photographer makes the pictures.

If you really aren't sold on going with the canon xti. dpreview.com is a GREAT website for giving you everything you need to know about all different types of cameras and brands. They tell you all the features of the cameras and compare the image quality of rival companies in a studio set-up. This site has helped me so much when I was picking out my camera and still helps keeps me updated with the latest equipment.

(I keep referencing amazon because I believe they don't tax their camera stuff so that will save you quite a bit of money)

here are the links to the 2 items:
xti:

17-40mm L lens:

(sorry this was so long; thought I'd throw in more than just 2 cents ) if you have any other questions go ahead and message me and ill be sure to do my best to help you!