View Single Post
      09-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
thefys
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8i

Automatic Transmission Cooler & Tow Package !

I am investigating how to add an additional transmission cooler to help the automatic transmission better dissipate heat when we tow with our 2006 X3 3.0i

So far we tow a 1,900 small T@B trailer
which should not present any problem for the X3 but I still think it would be beneficial to increase the cooling capacity of the transmission for longer life.

I have read some folks advise against additional transmission cooling, due to internal temperature switches and too low temperature as a result, but I am willing to bet that more cooling will help more than it will hurt in our case.

It would be great to hear from some folks that have gone down this path (and possibly upgraded). Reading many, many pages of posts here has not been that enlightening.

The one thread that I found really interesting in understanding tow packages was in the Dodge Durango forums which I will share here: Crap. Don't have the tow package. What to do?

It talks about added transmission coolers, bigger alternators, rear shocks that are auto leveling and of course electric brake controllers + a hitch. These factory upgrades upped the tow capacity of the Durango from 3,500lbs to 6,000 which blew me away.

I'd like to think something similar could be done for the X3. Have a look and let me know what you think !
Appreciate 0