View Single Post
      03-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #46
Haddock!
Rep
Drives: 440i GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Is the original post re: shockware mappings still accurate? I'm still on the fence about getting it since I use comfort mode for my long-distance drives and actually prefer the insulated feel for the really poorly-maintained highway sections between Boston and New York.
Don't know about the accuracy of the mappings but I used them to make my decision on getting the shockware and I have absolutely no regrets. In fact I would recommend it to anyone with EDC and lowering springs.

Some background: My car is a 2017 F36 440i xdrive as well. I lowered it on AC Schnitzer springs within a week of taking possession (I was never going to be able to live with the xdrive gap and so I ordered the springs soon after I ordered the car).

Car was great to drive with the lowering springs on smooth pavement and the occasional bump, however I live in the upper midwest and there is this little stretch (about a 1/4 mile) of frost heaves on the road close to my house - that I drive over everyday. What I found was that in comfort mode, the car completely lost its composure going over this series of bumps. It was bouncy and downright unpleasant! It had never bothered me when driving other cars. Switching to sport mode resolved the problem in that it was not uncomfortable any more (although the car felt stiffer and I felt every bump in the road).

So while the obvious solution was to drive in sport mode at all times, I didn't want to do that. I disliked the heavier steering, louder exhaust with MPPSK and the tendency to hold onto gears longer - all good things for spirited driving (which I do once in a while) but not what I needed every time I got into the car.

Enter Dinan Shockware. I got it with the understanding that it would stiffen up the damping across the board while leaving everything else including the steering, transmission and exhaust unchanged - thereby solving my problem.

It didn't disappointment. As soon as it was installed, I immediately drove to the aforementioned natural rumble strips and drove over them multiple times in comfort mode - and I'm glad to say the car performed flawlessly.

The one thing I will add as a foot note (and I know this is controversial) is that I believe the steering feel in comfort mode stiffened up some with the shockware flash. Not to the level of stock sport mode but certainly not what it was in comfort before the flash. I don't know how or why (and it may all be placebo) but going in, I did NOT believe I would get any changes to the steering feel with the flash and I was skeptical of those reporting improvement. I just know that it felt different and thought I should mention that here. I will also say that I don't mind it at all. I love driving the car and comfort mode is now exactly that - comfortable!
Appreciate 1
EvenKeel420.00