View Single Post
      04-30-2017, 04:36 AM   #226
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

+1 to the OP for this supremely helpful post!

I had various rattles and creaks from my '15 F80, so I attacked those over the past week.

I tried Gummi Pfledge for the door seals, but still had a bit of creaking, so I tried some silicone lubricant grease from Honda called Shin Etsu. It's thicker and should last longer.

My most noticeable rattle came from the centre console area, and pressing on the thin trim around the AC control pancake would make it stop. Per the instructions in the original post, I pried off the trim below the AC controls, then removed the two lower AC control panel mounting screws. After pulling off the large dash trim AC controls, I was able to remove the remaining two upper screws.

The AC control panel has a single connector that does not need to be disconnected. The panel was rubbing plastic-on-plastic where the screws mounted, as well as near the center within the two oval mouldings (where two cross-shaped projections engage). I put felt tape on each of these and reinstalled the AC controls.

The main dash trim piece rattled like crazy at the far right side from each of the brass prongs. These are loosely mounted in the trim to allow a little tolerance during installation. I wrapped a bit of felt tape around the base of the prongs to tighten them in their mounts, then reinstalled the rest of the dash trim pieces.

I also installed felt tape in the three LATCH anchors behind the rear seat, because the covers fit very loosely and all rattled when I rapped on the rear shelf.

Checking the trunk area, each of the two seat back release levers seemed a bit loose, so they got some felt tape. The toolkit screwdriver was also bouncing around and reinstalling that quieted things down nicely.
Appreciate 0