09-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #108
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Not for a commuter car it isn't.
I get 160 total miles from my i3 rex. 80 miles on all electric. This is more than sufficient for my commute.

It takes a minute to refill my REX.

But in all seriousness the time it takes to refuel doesn't matter much when my car is sitting parked while I'm at work or asleep. It's a small price to pay for all the other advantages an EV gives.

It takes 7.5kWh to refine a gallon of gas. That same 7.5kWh is the same potential coal burning source that the EV will take from the grid. My i3 gets 3.18m/kWh. My M3 gets 21.5 mpg.

i3: 0.31447kWh/mile
M3: 0.34884kWh/mile

So the my ICE M3 consumes more kWh per mile with JUST refinement costs as a factor. Add to that oil mining and transportation and the actual consumption of the fuel itself and you have a much higher cost per mile in energy and pollution.

As far as battery disposal, recycling is the answer:
https://cleantechnica.com/2015/07/23...-can-recycled/

My low average consumption is 3.18 m/kWh. My rate is $0.16729/kWh delivery and $0.07477/kWh Generation (tier 2 because of the size of my house and the AC). Even taking into account a 10% loss due to inefficiency (a generous assumption), that comes out to $0.09 a mile for my i3.

My F80 M3, in comparison at 21.5 mpg at $3.19/gal comes out to $0.15/mile.

Nail in the coffin: BMW provides 2 years of free charging, so even if I only change at work, cut that cost in HALF at least or make it $0.00/mile if I don't charge at home.

Winner: i3

It's a RWD 2800lb car with a low center of gravity and instant torque. It's more capable than most economy cars, and certainly better than trucks, vans and large SUVs.

But if you want to see what a street legal EV can do, just look at the Tesla S's 0.90g skidpad compared to your 2008 335i which only got a 0.89. So "none" with good handling? False.

Compared to what? A blown V8? Compare to my Subaru Forester, the i3 is much better at speed. Again, this is a commuter car, not a sports car. It's more than capable for what it is intended for.
1. 160 miles is no range. I drove 450 today alone.
2. So that means I would have had to park overnight twice.
3. Battery recycling would be an answer but it doesnt exist nor has it been shown economical.
4. An I3 is not an m3. It's more a corolla or camry. Total operating expenses suck, especially if you don't have my tax money to help buy your car.
5. So who wants to sit at a bmw dealer for 6 hours a day charging?
6. Even a lowly mustang GT can blow any EVsdoors off on the highway
7. From a tesla forum, obviously biased toward tesla:
Any body ever own a BMW and now drives a Tesla? I have a deposit on a 3 and have A BMW 328i which I love. I am wondering how the ride and handling compare' Also the value of the air suspension ? Thanks

RedShift | August 22, 2016
Me. I drove an E46 325i. Beautifully balanced, neutral and a champion handler.

First of all, this comparison is very unfair to the Tesla. A more apples to apples comparison is against a BMW 750i.

A RWD ( not D ) Tesla is neither neutral at the limits, nor a great handler at street speeds. It breaks traction suddenly and without much warning. To get the thrill out of it, you need to drive the Tesla faster. That's common sense as most heavier cars have limits that are accessible at higher speeds.

Regarding steering - 325i was natural and gave plenty of feedback. Tesla is duller.

Regarding the AWD Model D - it feels much more 'planted', but also less involving in the curves than a RWD setup.

Air Vs non air suspension: if you are a stuckler for handling, get the non air. It is very good setup and the ride vs handling trade off is right on the money.

Finally - most of the ills plaguing the Tesla start with its curb weight. At nearly 5000 lbs, it will never be considered sporty.

Better bet is to wait for the Model 3. If they an keep the curb weight below 3500 lbs, it should be a great handler and a replacement for a 3 series.

My 10 cents.
Appreciate 0