View Single Post
      07-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #129
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoosty View Post
I'm glad you chimed in, have been considering your posts leading up to this, part of the reason I am opting for staggered.

To elaborate a bit on my specifics: this is *not* meant to be a track car or some balls-out racer. It is a street car, that I occasionally (1-2 times per year) take to (mainly) Laguna Seca for time trial type events. I have done this in the past on the stock ZCPs with PSS, and it was fine and fun, but I just want to take it up by one, and I mean only one notch, via a set of dedicated wheels with stickier tires (and a set of track brake pads that also get swapped in and out).

I do not want to mess with the car at all - no fender rolling, no fender liner 'relieving', no camber adjusting, no nothing. I also want to limit the tires to 200 treadwear for classification purposes. I realize this will never yield the fastest car, or lowest lap times, but it will keep the car as a nice, unmolested street ride which it is, 99% of the time.

So yes, on the one hand I want to get an awesome set of track-only tires and wheels, but on the other hand I want to limit the size to what will fit without any other adjustments. That all being said, is it still the case (in this case, with RS4 tires) that the more rubber you can cram under the fenders, the better off you are? 10" fronts (with 265s or 275s)? and 10.5" rears with 285s? Does the increase in contact patch more than offset the increased unsprung weight, and the increased gearing? What is the ideal compromise?
Glad to help

A 9.5/10.5 combo is very, very nice for occasional track and mostly street use. One could say that is the ultimate street setup.

I really like square setups (i have 3, 1 in 10" and 2 in 10.5" ) for several reasons, mainly they help reduce variables and when you're going through lots of tires you really need all the help you can get.

That said, last year we dropped under 1:40 in a 6mt e92 at Mid Ohio with RE71s on the ZCP wheels 255/275 and 9/10 widths. This setup was faster than my heatcycle and abused nt01s on square wheels.

If I had a single set of wheels for everything I'd maybe use the 9.5/10.5 setup you're discussing, definitely with re71 tires. These are pretty well mannered tires on the street and stick very very well.

Perhaps the biggest problem with a 9.5/10.5 setup is the tire selection. Unless you can get a 265/285 combo (this is the only thing that i'd really want to run on those wheels) then it's pointless. Perhaps the re71 is available in those sizes. If so i say go for it.

I would very strongly suggest camber plates. You can set front camber at -2 and 0 toe and rear -1.8 (forgot the toe but i can post it later) and have a wonderful due use setup. Without this you can blow through tires in a single day-ask me why I know. Forget about fitment, this is about preserving your tires' life
Appreciate 0