View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
am335i
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Smoke at start up

Hi Everyone,

Looking to see if anyone can provide any feedback on this issue that i'm having.

So everyone morning at startup i notice heavy white smoke coming out of my exhaust and this only happens in the morning, assuming whatever is burning collects overnight. Looking to see what your thoughts on this may be?

I do have a coolant leak somewhere but its doesn't seem to be a lot as i can go almost 2 1/2 months before i get low coolant warning. I was told it was the expansion tank that was the cause of the leak, repaired and looks like it wasn't the cause. Being told it could be the radiator or hoses. Not sure i want to move forward with the repairs just yet. ($2k-2500k) Also water pump was replaced at about 120k miles, i'm at 185k now.

I also have a minor oil housing gasket leak, i put in maybe a quart of oil in every 2 months or so. I've had this replaced it seems every few years, guess its a known issue.

With these two leaks, i never see it on the ground so i'm guessing its entering the engine and then burns off? I did have all 6 fuel injectors replaced in Jan 2018 and i started noticing the smoke about a month later. The dealer replaced the injectors and they scanned the car and found no faults so they are saying its not the injectors.

At this point, after owning the car for 11 years, 185k miles am i just better off driving the car until it dies? Or would it be worth spending say $3k on fixing the above items, hope that solves the smoke issue and the car runs fine thereafter? Or sell the car for hmmm maybe $5k kbb says its worth? Right now its my daily commuter to work which is 90miles round trip.

Suggestions, feedback, comments most welcome!!

link to the video of the smoke

Last edited by am335i; 08-17-2018 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: video didnt load before
Appreciate 0