View Single Post
      11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Archerbald
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

N52 Full custom intake system. Tune question.

Hi Guys. New to BMW, and to this community. Loving the read so far, well informative. First post follows:

Tuning question regarding the E90 330i with Auto trans-

The Q.
Does the standard engine management strategy use input from the MAF during WOT?

Always loved ITBs. Had no idea about the n52 valve system till now, 9 month after purchase. So..

I envisage the following scenario-
A large custom intake plenum encloses the 6 intake runners.
The runner length may be fixed or infinitely (practically) varied by way of stepper motor, or staged, depending on ease of control options.
The plenum is supplied air via the OE n52 throttle body during all conditions except for WOT and essentially follows the standard tune. In the event of WOT, a large butterfly (or plurality of) are actuated via solenoid, from closed to open, minimising intake vacuum (it is at this stage I was hoping that the EMS ignored MAF input, as obvious the input would represent a minor percentage of total AF).

That's is in a nut. I have sketches, method of fabrication, installation and mechanicals outlined at this stage. The WOT TBs I think will be best configured opposite and parallel to the runners, along the side of the plenum facing up and covered by rectangular panel filter. The filter may form the external visual element of the plenum (TBs and solenoids, runner steppers and all vacuum ancillaries to terminate and mount inside the plenum, separated by partition.

Thoughts? Most likely a waste of time but I can't help my thought.