View Single Post
      08-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #65
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
One theory I have is subsequent bearing changes require shorter preventive maintenance intervals. I would bet that a BMW factory worker who puts thousands of these motors together will do a better and more precise job than anyone here. That doesn't account for wear and whatever other variables exist...torque wrench calibrations? Never 100% spot on.

Again, my opinion...I think your first bearing change should be between 50k to 80k miles. The second one should be done a little sooner.
I did one set fully removing the subframe with suspension attached and one set on a friend’s car with the subframe hanging. I did not feel at all impaired with the subframe hanging.

I am just a DIYer, but I don’t think this job is rocket science. It just requires care, patience, and attention to detail. What is the pro going to do differently than me?

I would determine the 2nd change based on the wear I see on the original set. Yes, I understand the theory is that using added clearance bearings should eliminate wear, but the long term testing is not yet there to fully support the theory. Once we have seen a dozen sets of extra clearance bearings come out after 50k miles with no wear, I will accept it. Until then, I’d say do them again and maybe you will be able to extend the interval or even do away with a 3rd change if you find no wear on the 2nd change. I am at 40k on my 2nd set (wpc treated late oem with stock bolts changed in 2014) and my originals at 60k showed wear but were not as bad as some so I would feel comfortable leaving the replacements in for 60k.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6734.50