View Single Post
      08-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlyleeds View Post
Interestingly you're the 3rd person that has mentioned steering rack calibration being the cause. No one that has done an alignment so far has reset it/re-calibrated it.

I did read this though in a BMW service document and I wonder whether things have come out of sync somehow. What I can't seem to find anywhere is whether the steering axis "sensor"/system has any effect on the power assistance that the EPS rack provides or whether it is just something that feeds into the stability control/ABS etc?
Before trying any physical adjustment, a couple of observations.

You've mentioned it can still pull left when running on the crown of the road, so almost certainly eliminates camber pull from a sloppy alignment and/or loose components. Differences in feel 'left to right' can indicate driving straight is applying steering torque (therefore power) to the rack. This can either be due to the SAS not calibrated to zero, or the setup is not neutral when driving straight. If so, when you come off centre, (in your case to the left, it may be on zero, (no steering torque). Feel from that point should be more equal, than when on centre, where left is more relaxed, right requires more steering effort/torque.

When driving straight (to keep straight), what position is the steering wheel? Off centre?

You are driving the ideal curve to stop the steering pull... does it then feel pretty much equal, if you need to steer left or right a little bit?
Appreciate 0