View Single Post
      09-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #82
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
What are the details on your oil bypass kit? Nice you got one of the plates, the one with the welded aluminum elbow? I plan to build something similar but with a shorter snout. Catch can mounted on the back wall. I am a bit picky about engine bay aesthetics so huge heater hoses laying across the intake manifold are a big no-no for me. On my fast e61 I have both low-load and high-load catch cans and thankfully I was able to tuck them along the back wall. I won't be worrying about oil return as I have no problem periodically checking and emptying the collected oil, oddly the process brings me a small bit of satisfaction. If it turns out to be a hassle then I will upgrade to a larger can or look into plumbing it.
It's a toilet paper roll type filter, this kit - https://insanediesel.com/products/vo...tallation-kit/. I customized it opting for the X2 filter housing instead of the X1. Figured the extra surface area couldn't hurt. Same diameter just a bit taller. They also had a couple black ones left in stock that were unlisted luckily, wanted to keep it low key. I jumped on it during their labor day sale.

As far as the plate, it did not have an elbow welded in. It wouldn't be fun stuck at a certain angle. Ended up enlarging the hole and threading it for 16AN bulkhead and using a 90 degree swivel elbow to come off that. Only issue with the manual dump of the oil is I've heard that it accumulates so fast that you would constantly be under the car and also topping off.

I hear you about wanting to keep everything looking clean and organized. It will be hard to do that with the oil return to the cap but a nice braided line with some legit fittings should keep it looking pretty good. I can tell you're meticulous in your work, that's why I can't wait to see how you address a few of these issues. Good luck with the upcoming projects!

If you would like, I can send the plate down to you temporarily so you can make a stencil. Let me know.

-Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by Deftronix; 09-09-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0