View Single Post
      09-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #97
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
ECS sells the 'strut nut' sockets, so you can use a torque wrench. Don't use an impact to tighten .. [coming from someone who uses an impact on everything and hates doing any job that involves any tool outside of an impact ] ... Do not use one on a shock nut, unless you want noises and to send it out for repair. The strut nut socket is worth it, or you can gradually work up with a pass through wrench, and keep checking with your torque wrench until you got it to click.

For the front .. mask the fenders with a towel and mask them some more. Tape a rag around the tie rod end boot as it will contact the dust shield and can rip.

If you have xdrive it's kind of a pain getting them back in, the axle pops out so you have to slowly turn the brake rotor, push in on the hub with your knee and push down on the strut with both hands. Eventually the splines will line up and it will all pop in and back up with a very satisfying feeling.

For the rears the only tricky part is getting the outer camber arm and the hub to line up well. You have to turn the inner eccentric bolt and it will line up. Careful not to force the arm up with a jack, if it doesn't line up you'll damage the ball joint on the hub.
Just installed one side of the rear. Getting that last bolt to line up was tricky, to say the least!! tried everything short of removing the camber arm bolt, thumbs down

Heres what worked for me. Once I got the bolt to pass through one side and through the rubber bushing, I used the socket and extension to manipulate the bolt to line up and then had a second person tap the end of the socket extension to get it to pass through. Wasn't easy.
Appreciate 0