View Single Post
      03-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
nocosine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Hey all, made it back in one piece and the car did great for my first time at the track. Thank you all for your responses and tips, definitely appreciate it. I hope it helps any others who are in a similar situation down the line.

Just some context on the driving, I ran with an instructor who was in a GR Supra with 2 other novices in the group (newer STI, supercharged 86 corolla) for 2 sessions and another 2 sessions with a mixed beginner group.

Outside temps that day were around 48-53F overcast. During the two 20 minute sessions with the instructor, I had a difficult time on the corners. Lots of understeer and had a hard time getting the tires up to temp since it was colder out. Could have been my driving but the Eagle f1 AS2 RFT had a hard time gripping. They became slightly better when up to temp. Tire pressure hot was around 36F 38R psi and that was with airing down. Which I found out later was a bit high so that could have explained my grip problem.

Flushing brake fluid with rbf 600 and swapping to stoptech sport pads prior definitely helped provide for a good day. I'm on non m sport brakes (Gray 4 piston front and 1 piston rear) and they did not give me any trouble whatsoever. I could have used my stock pads probably but didn't want to encounter any possibility of fading on a smaller tight track.

All in all, I am convinced I could have shaved a few seconds off had I put non run flats lol, but I digress. Stock adaptive m sport suspension was fairly floaty but did well for what it was. I used sport setting for 3/4 sessions and only tried sport+ on the last and to my surprise ran a slightly faster time due to less nannies kicking in at the expense of the rear kicking out. First time on a track and ran a 1:42. Lots of upgrading needed for driver mod!

tldr: exaggerated on tire bulge, RFT didn't blow up and did fine on track. Changed fluids and pads. Got passed by cars with half the power and weight :P

Last edited by nocosine; 03-16-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0