View Single Post
      07-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #90
bshambam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
Wow you're doing a really good job here bringing this e91 manual back to good health.
I'm in BC too, I have the same car but in white,

I've done the same jobs as you:
Water pump & thermostat
Clutch & flywheel
except I chickened out of doing the rear main seal when I saw the price of the tool!
When I originally bought the car, I found it really hard to shift smoothly - if I didn't really concentrate I would perform a jerky shift. My partner didn't like to drive the car at all!

I found changing the clutch and flywheel really improved the lash in the powertrain making easier to shift smoothly.

Last week I replaced the oil pan gasket and ended up replacing the two front axle shafts too. I checked the play in the front axles and it was moderate, much less than the lash in the diff and transfer case. However In my quest for better shifting I spent the money in hope new axles would help!
Luckily I found this has removed the 1st gear kangarooing / bucking / shunting I was feeling when going on and off the throttle in 1st gear in a car park.

I'm still not 100% happy with the drivability. My current gripe is: if I push the clutch down before completely coming off the throttle (trying to do fast shifts) I get a thud in the Powertrain. I think this could be transmission mount / engine mounts.

I guess I want to be able to bang through the gears quickly when pulling onto the highway from stationary. Right now I have to be super smooth and careful with releasing the clutch perfectly or it just becomes jerky in the cabin.

I also find when I turn the car off sometimes there is a slight rattling / clacking noise as the engine winds to rest.

Curious to see how new vanos solenoids improve the idle on yours. Mine is a little rough on hot restart
Did you try driving w/ the Clutch delay valve removed?

IG: Shambam_makes
Twitter: B_Shambam
Appreciate 0