09-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I'm glad Hassmachine "chimed in".

While it's completely possible to defeat the CNV checks, the potential personal liability is insane. No one wants to mess with Federal emissions requirements. California is only using Federally required information to check valid calibration files. Any defeat procedure/program would be running afoul with federal laws.

This is why most tuner's "cat delete" tune will only disable the cat performance CEL but will not reset the readiness flag.

I've dug into this and it appears that their are some discrepancies towards the actual model years affected. I've read 2000, 2007 and even 2010. I really think the manufactures might have some issues providing some of this data. Just look at how hard it is to find the correct ZB number on an old E series.

I don't know the inspection fees but I'd be temped to just run my car through the checks and flash back to stock if it was flagged. Takes 10 minutes to flash back, so its just an inconvenience at best.

For those of you with AA tunes and no flashing hardware, you can just live with the base bimmerlabs 330 tunes or pay to purchase the AA flashing tools. Just consider it one of the many California taxes.

Or maybe move to a more "sane" state. Loved California in the early 80's. would never live there again.
Appreciate 1
fravel1644.50