View Single Post
      01-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #13
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Sorry to hear about your experience, OP. I've gone through a similar situation with an inexperienced tuner pretending to be knowledgeable with the S55. I've also had my car shut off on the highway due to tuning negligence, so I know how it feels. This happened 4+ years ago, so I expect anyone offering an S55 tune to be somewhat more experienced by now...

Steven is usually the go to S55 calibrator for Wedge. He's tuned some notable ST S55 shop cars, and there's yet to be any complaints about his service from those parties. He's also a regular at 1/2 mile events in CA and AZ, often pushing the limits of his personal car. He seems like a good guy in general, but this isn't to invalidate your experience with him.

I believe the issue may be related to FF tuning, which some tuners have struggled with depending on the hardware and software involved. I know guys who are still waiting to finish their calibration on a more robust hardware, despite having direct supervision and calibration from the vendor. Then there are guys who just hit FF tuning out of the park on other platforms.

It's really a matter of luck when it comes to choosing the right tuner for a specific platform. Try not to rely on online popularity, but really get a feel for the tuner's expertise with the results you're expecting. On a positive note, I think it's better to have an unfinished tune that doesn't blow your engine versus a baseline or first revision tune that ends up blowing a hole through the block within a few hundred miles.
Appreciate 1