United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badninja99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
That's the setup that I installed in my car with the HK system. The Earthquakes must be the 2-ohm version, part number SWS-8Xi.

If retailers don't have the spacer rings they can be purchased direct from Earthquake Sound for $25/pair

The Technicpnp harness is $55

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...sub-t-harness/

Crutchfield and a couple other retailers sell the AudioControl LOC/amplifier, ACM-2.300

I would not categorize it as plug and play, but it is a straightforward installation. Swapping out the underseat subs is very close to plug and play. The secondary amplifier and technicpnp harness are a little more involved because they are additions, not swaps. Anyone who has installed a car stereo shouldn't have too much difficulty
Just ordered all the parts, I saw a few videos on how to install the subs. Are there any instructions on how to wire the amp? Or am I better of paying a audio shop to do it?
Only you can decide if you are up for any task. Can't go by what someone else labels as "easy" or "difficult".

At first I talked to a few local car stereo shops. I had installed car stereos in other cars years ago but never touched a BMW. They all pitched that they had great experience but when I asked specific questions, they gave me answers that led me to trust them with my car less and less. They were all just going to tear apart my car trunk interior and wing it, and charge me a ridiculous amount of money. I decided that I could take my time and do a better job.

Instructions come with the AudioControl amplifier and a wiring diagram from Technicpnp that didn't come with the harness, but I contacted them through the website and they emailed it to me.

The BMW specific information I learned as I removed interior panels from inside my trunk to expose the HK amplifier in the left trunk alcove, the car battery in the right trunk alcove and the fuse box under the trunk floor panel that just lifts right up.

There is one BMW specific wire to run from the fuse box to the AudioControl amp to signal it to turn on/off with the car's ignition but that's plug and play by buying a couple small items from local stores. I can provide those details. And I have photos.

To wire everything in the trunk requires just a handful of items from the Internet and/or local stores like Lowe's, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Purists will tell you to solder everything, but you can buy/use simple crimp connectors.

Contact Technicpnp to get the latest wiring diagram for the harness and post a photo of it here. I've already posted a lot of detailed information on this installation but I haven't done it as step by step instructions. Maybe I'll try to write it up that way with the photos that I took.
Appreciate 0