08-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #31
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki330i View Post
Have a 2015 f31 335i and recently changed the oil . Car is on 70k with full bmw service history. Was a 1 owner car by an old guy into his car that traded the f31 for a yaris GR. No weird noises from the car but thought I'd check curiosity and cut apart the oil filter and discovered a lot of very large chunks of metal . Took apart the bottom end thinking I've spun the notorious rod bearings but they were fine and in surprisingly good condition. Car is stage 2+ mhd tuned and always warmed up and cooled down properly . The car does get the occasional spirited weekend drives but nothing like that of track days with minutes off full throttle. Took off the valve cover to check if the vvt cam had worn away but noticed the back 2 lobes of the intake cam are absolutely mullered and look to have been starved of oil as the very back of the cam has began to develop some surface corrosion , this has also wiped both lifters out . Is this a common thing as I can't find any information on this ? Will be rebuilding with ACL Race bearings and Arp2000 rod bolts
First I've read about the intake cams.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0