View Single Post
      10-27-2023, 09:39 PM   #9
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I like the idea...people used to turn off the car at longer waits (red light, bumper to bumper traffic) back in the days in Europe. But I turned off mine Auto Start/Stop from the first month I had my car, rightly or wrongly thinking...for this reason:

- starter motor/gears wear
- incomplete combustion leaves more deposits
- (and lately since I heard about this N20/26 problem) cannot be good for the timing chain the sudden yanking, if it happens to have a severe slack due to a weak tensioner

I may be completely wrong in these reasons, but rationale tells me that in ten years of owning my car, driving in the city for 1 hour a day on average, it probably would have started up my car (conservatively) 20 times in that one hour vs one time (without enabling the feature). That's 3652 days x 20 times/day= 73000 starts vs 3652 starts normally.

May be I am over-thinking it...and the German engineers are that good. I have not heard of any systemic issues with starter motors, etc...so maybe it's a worthy feature to have...