View Single Post
      11-02-2023, 08:39 PM   #21
m3freak86
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

August 8, 2023

What's being installed: Goldenwrench Supply Oil Filter Housing Cap and a Carbonex Hood Latch

In my original large purchase, I snagged the future classic oil filter housing cap. However, I decided to hold off on the install of that due to the install method of this cap. You needed to put a tool directly on the anodized aluminum and I was fearful it would end up getting nicked up and not looking good over time. This piece is directly in the center of the engine bay, so after some deliberation, I decided to look at some other options.

I wasn't aware that Goldenwrench had an option at the time, so I decided to check out and see what they offered. Sure enough, they had a very nice option that seemed to be a great remedy to my uncertainty of the install method on the FC cap. Goldenwrench thought about this and they designed a very cool design where a tool doesn't touch the anodized part of the cap. Rather, they have an hex bolt in the center of a scratch resistant metal. Decided to snag this as it would match the rest of the caps and be a much cleaner look overall.

I picked up a new filter kit as well, so I could swap it out when I changed out the housing cap. Not necessary, but I figured might as well since I was there. Install was extremely simple and really happy with the change. Everything went according to plan and very pleased with the outcome.

Last small piece I wanted to install was a new hood latch. The stock handle is made of plastic and I felt like I was going to break the thing in half everytime I opened the hood. Not to mention, BMW latches require a double pull, so it required some decent effort to open up the hood. Found a brand called carbonex that offered a really nice anodized aluminum latch that bolts right up to the stock mechanism. Again, very small detail, but worth it to me since I am always opening up the hood to clean, work, or just stare at the engine bay. IND actually offers this latch in a paint match option as well, but felt the black was super clean and very OEM+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_P1IgUfNHY
Attached Images