02-15-2024, 09:51 AM   #8
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Great post, thanks!
I was aware that engine had to reach a certain temp to measure oil level but didn’t know it checked for motion also. So if one started the engine and let it idle until it came up to temp and checked the oil level would that be the “static” measurement as it hadn’t gone thru the driving accel stuff?

In my case, I usually check the oil at the around the same place on road from my house where it’s level and it’s reached the temp (and, now I know some movement) to do so. After adding 1qt when it had indicated to do so with warning light, the sensor read full and I was happy (other than wondering why I was still losing oil after replacing the opg…). A day or two later when I checked the sensor said 1/2 below full and stayed there. That bothered me but I didn’t add any more oil. Overtime it’s gone to 1/4 and sometimes will flash add +1qt. I don’t have concern with +/- 1/4 as I assume that’s the resolution of the sensor output. I have to think the sensor or connector or something is not right when it jumped from full to 1/2 overnight?
That is without anything obvious going on with oiling system, increase in coolant level, puddles under car, smoking, etc.

Regardless when I change the sensor I’ll post if I find anything interesting.
OP, my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Appreciate 0