Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
If you want more than 700whp for racing you will have to build the engine.
Rods, pistons, crank hub, valves, springs and cylinder head porting.
Lang Racing has a good value Stage3 head.
Then you get into clutches etc., all the fueling mods, custom tuning, as well, drivetrain weaknesses....
I think the F8x platform is great at 700whp. '

To get from there to 1200whp is basically the price of the car plus a big budget for parts breakage.

Honestly, if you have to ask, you are under budget and underprepared. (no offence)

Listen to RK Tunes on the Street Alpha podcast talk about the S55.
He talks about his 1150whp build there. Pretty much just throw the catalog at it.
Only saving grace is that the S55 doesn't need any fancy fire-ring headgasket work, unlike *58 motors (supposedly).

For 93 octane I would get some Mosselman turbos with meth injection and make 650whp. You won't make over 650 on 93 octane alone with any hybrid turbo. Maybe 750 on a big ass single with a good ported head!

My best suggestion is to just read a lot.

Learn from the likes of chetrickerman , OG Shark], @[Track/S (contact:255523) and of course the forum jester NORAGRETS
Once again alot of good information here. Also agree that between 700-800whp is a happy place for the F8X platform it is fun and responsive and handles the power beautifully. Those chasing 1000whp+ goals at point are building a purposeful race car and lose alot of the joys the car brings daily driving imo.

I recently went through this process myself with a built motor and upgraded Pures turbos with the thought of mid frame to large single turbo or aftermarket twins in the future.

I learned the head work such as porting and replacing the springs and retainers is a bit overkill and will only increase the wear on the other internal engine parts. I also upgraded my cams which is also overkill as the stock ones are more than sufficient in most applications.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a Dinan or Lang motor and swap it in and sell the current motor to help offset cost, it will be quicker and you'll have some type of limited warranty. (comes with crankhub already done.)

You will need to address fuel for the car such as DI or PI, I went the DI route. HPFP, LPFP, and upgraded injectors. Cooling system upgrades such as top mount cooler and heat exchanger make a difference as well as oil cooler.

Also as mentioned other parts like the DCT or manual clutches will need to be upgraded as around 650 TQ things start to overheat and wear.

I'd also look at driveline & subframe bushings, as well rear axles as they all become weak points.

Digest & Good luck!
Appreciate 0