View Single Post
      03-19-2024, 12:13 AM   #43
bipp
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 m3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Ok. Doesn’t change anything that I’ve stated. The various derivatives of Bilstein B6 Damptronic dampers are based on a high gas pressure monotube damper. The gas lifting force in the B6 is significant (actually any Bilstein monotube damper) and it acts like an undamped preloaded spring in parallel to the main spring. The piston rod doesn’t start to move and compress into the damper body until there’s an applied compressive force that exceeds the gas lifting force. This increases the harshness of a damper and makes it ride on, rather than absorb, bumps. If the goal is to improve ride quality and performance over stock, the B6 Damptronic is not what I’d recommend. The Evolve/Bilstein version with its claimed improvements in comfort and sport+ edc settings, hasn’t been a great success on the f8x so be careful if you’re considering it for your e9x M3.
re: Evolve Bilsteins -

I wouldn't trust that Evolve Bilsteins necessarily are a great solution that solves the problems the original Bilstein B6s did. I would be cautious of a vendor that:

claims to know the best bearings for our car by holding them in their hand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Can you shed more light as to what makes them the best? Specifically, what makes them better than the BE Bearings?
Apparently holding them in your hand....

I'd rather see some measurements, numbers, info on materials, info on quality control and tolerance.
from https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...30&postcount=1

also switched out the cats in their x-pipe without notice and then claimed to "not use a cheap cat" when they very literally switched to a cheaper cat - https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...20&postcount=9

This isn't to say Bilstein B6s aren't better than stock, but rather building off your notes on those and more of a commentary of whether you should trust Evolve in this situation.

Last edited by bipp; 03-19-2024 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0