View Single Post
      03-21-2024, 02:09 AM   #23
seanm500
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’d be careful with the DS2500 and check how much brake pad material is left after each session. Also, please install a high-temp (wet boiling temp) brake fluid to minimize the chance of boiling the brake fluid on track. Back to the DS2500…You can go through a set of DS2500 in one weekend!

Will this be your first trip to the track? Just an FYI, beginners are usually more demanding and abusive to the braking system than an advanced driver. Advanced drivers are ON (threshold braking) and then OFF (not exactly like a light switch), quickly ramping up to ~100% of the braking performance and using that performance for a much shorter duration. However, for a beginner, they’ll start braking much earlier and engaging the brake pedal much more gradually, resulting in a shallow ramp that reaches only ~70-80% of braking performance. This means the pads will have to stay in contact with the rotors for a much longer duration to absorb the kinetic energy, which allows more heat to be generated and transferred to the braking system. So…please install fresh high-temp normal viscosity brake fluid (Motul, Castrol, AP Racing, Red Line, etc.) and check your DS2500, or any other brand, pad thickness after each session.
Yeah, got it, fair warning on checking the pads after each session! I understand they aren't a full track/race pad, so I will be careful during these first few events. It seems like the DS2500 and RSL29 are my only real options in light of my desire to keep costs low using the warranty policies of FCP & Turner, so DS2500 seems the way to go for now since this thing has to get me to work lol. I've seen a couple posts saying the noise isn't unbearable on the RSL29s, but it also sounds like that is atypical. I do already have RBF 660 fluid in the car, and will flush it again soon.

This year will be my first HPDE/track days. I have done a couple AutoX, and I regularly sim race (iRacing), but HDPE/track days will be very new to me. Hopefully some of the sim muscle memory translates, and I can ramp up to some half-decent braking technique/performance without burning up the pads too quickly. We'll see!

Really appreciate all your advice. It is pretty intimidating to get started, so it's incredibly helpful, thank you.
Appreciate 0