View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 02:39 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuliman View Post
I'm chasing a clunking noise from the front left (driver's side) of my 128. It's been there since I bought the car some 16K miles ago and the previous owner said he'd been chasing it "but that nobody had been able to figure it out".

It's not steering angle related (so I'm thinking not strut mounts) and it seems much worse when the car is cold, although that could be just be because I'm going easy on it then anyway.

I've tried to check for play in bushings, etc., and I don't think anything has unusual amounts of play.

The only possible culprit I have in mind right now is the swaybar droplink, but both driver's and passenger's behave the same and have the same amount of play, though, so this is probably not it. However, I can rotate the links a lot at each end (top and bottom), but I don't know how much they're supposed to be able to move. Anyone know?

Any suggestions before I give in and take it to a shop that knows these and might be able to chase it down?
Your tech should have chassis ears for this purpose.

If you are suspicious of the links, took them off and go drive the car. They articulate, but should have no play in them.
Appreciate 2
ShocknAwe3241.50
Almuliman511.50