View Single Post
      05-03-2024, 01:44 AM   #27
esaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
All that matters is that it's designed to work with 4 ohm speakers.
I’ve had a change of plans.
The audio system tweeter does not fit my vehicle. And the mid driver, while it does fit with a included adapter bracket, is much smaller than OEM - only goes down to 250hz as well.

So I will purchase something else.

It seems the biggest difference between available component sets is found in the crossover. Many provides something similar to OEM hifi, or at most a box that does -6 db. So in most scenarios the included crossover is inadequate, requiring me to build my own.

With this in mind, do you have a recommendation for a (relatively) reasonably priced set?

One option that stands out is MATCH UP C42BMW-FRT.2. This set seems to have a somewhat adequate crossover? This would cost me around 260€ which is on par with most alternatives with worse crossovers, so a net win if I don’t have to buy additional components for building a crossover myself.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...up-c42bwm-frt2

What do you think? I expect you to point me to used OEM hifi drivers. These are however of low availability and high cost where I live.

Also, a more general question/reflection:

My only benchmark for this upgrade process is my Volvo V40 with High Performance audio package. Even after adding Match amp and Earthquakes to my BMW it does not seem to compete with the Volvo. Expressed in my limited layman’s vocabulary, I find the Volvo to pack much more of a punch, with more full bodied sound.

The latter does have 4x 6.5” mid drivers. Is the BMW just at an inherent disadvantage being limited to 4” mids? Is this disadvantage of such a magnitude that I should limit my expectations for what can be accomplished in the BMW without extensive modifications to fit larger drivers? Or is it perhaps just a matter of tuning the dsp according to my preferences? Perhaps complimenting the earthquakes with a trunk woofer?

Many thanks once again. Your expertise is invaluable!
Appreciate 0