07-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #35
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
If we run R-comps, we have to move up a class that would put us against some seriously modified cars.

The 140-200 treadwear street tires we run aren't very different from a 100 treadwear DOT R-comp. The difference in lap time is about 2s/lap over a 2:00 lap. The R-comps like a little bit less slip angle, but only a little bit. Both types of tires "squirm" around a LOT compared to a proper racing slick. Our car moves around a lot because it's just too loose; not because of the tires. We are still working on setup!

And yes, we are very very happy with our Dunlop tires! They perform amazingly well on this relatively heavy car. Most street tires cannot hold up to the abuse our 135i gives them.
I have used 140 treadwear street tyres before. In fact my current street tyre on another car is 140. The DZ03G is nothing like that. If I am not mistaken, it has a treadwear of 50! More importantly, it has incredibly hard side wall that makes the run flats feel like a 70 series tyre (do they still exist? Lol). But yeah, I can tell your suspension set up is very loose! I also have the Clubsport which I believe has much stiffer spring (and linear). If you ever come to Australia, I would love it for you to drive my car and see how different it is to your setup. Maybe you can give me some set up tips too.
Appreciate 0