United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandi View Post
i did my retrofit today and it is working perfectly.

Some of the gotchas :

1. my retrofit cables didnt come pre-connected and the coloring was little different from this thread but if you look at the pic and the explanation in the installation PDF, you can easily figure it out. (I cut the solid brown color wire since it didnt seem to be needed)
Same happened to me but that was better.
In this case, I just used the wires on the retro kit and reused the existing connectors.

Quote:
2. Upper console was pain in the ass to take off. At the end I used the following link instruction to do it. Perhaps this may be better for those who has skinny hands like myself.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545
Upper console was easy for me. The pain was the mirror cover.
Putting it back on took forever and I ended up bending and breaking some of the clips that hold it in place.

Quote:
3. I dont think it was mentioned in the PDF but you need to unlock the
X14288 before you can plug in the cables. There is a plastic tab that locks the cover and X14288 together.
It is mentioned on the instructions. Not as clear but it does say:
"Carefully open the secondary catch of
pins 6 – 10."

Quote:
4. Putting the cables through grommet was not so hard. I pulled the cable out of Upper console so it was easier. Also, I didnt bother with putting back the adhesive tape.
I just pulled all cables into the overhead console. it was easier then to run the wires like that.

Quote:
5. Homelink programming guide- go to www.homelink.com for programming instruction.
Thanks for the link. very helpful.

Quote:
* I disconnected negative cable from the battery before starting. Not 100 % sure but some cars dont have keyhole to open the trunk???? Mine does so i was able to lock it and unlock with my key.
Yes. I disconnected it too.

Quote:
Was not so hard but i did make some unnecessary scratches but i could do it better next time ... drop me message if you need help.
Not hard but a little bit of a pain.
Nice mod. I really like the auto dim feature.
My only complaint is that the homelink buttons only work when the car is on.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0