10-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #48
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornatty View Post
“New” owner question for my ‘09 328i xDrive sedan (automatic) VIN is A643138 with the N51 SULEV engine - stock, I think, but requiring Premium gas (orig sticker at gas filler door), but it’s faster than any 328i in my area and handles like a gokart with stock 205/55 ZR16 Continentals.
I thought it was a low-compression 9.0 engine with so-so acceleration, but am thinking some past owner did something.
Engine/susp look completely untouched w/stock air filters, shocks, etc. No trick items underneath. No strange warning lights.
My previous car was a very quick V-8 Jeep GC Ltd, so I know about acceleration.
Did I just luck out with an abnormally fast 328i or do they all drive like this?
Thanks, Thorn
First of all, you could've created a new thread and not resurrect one that is irrelevant from 2012.

In any case, your 328 is probably not that fast esp not faster than any other 328. Probably no one really raced you and you were just racing yourself. You have all wheel drive with an automatic. You have the slowest possible engine drive-train combo. In addition, if you are coming from a big SUV that handles like a boat, anything - esp bmw will feel like it's a go cart. Your perception is probably bit flawed.

But, if the previous owner did anything to your car, it's most likely either a tune or a powerbox. If it a powerbox, get rid of it and get a tune. Even if they got a tune, you are looking at 15hp gain - at most - which is almost the power level of stock rwd manual 328.

Enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0