Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
Ahhh, I remember you mentioning that...I'll keep that in mind next time I go out. So +1 on the exposure comp meter then bring it down n pp? I don't fiddle much with post...right now I'm just using iPhoto to make minor adjustment, I do have pixelmator but I haven't played with it as much. Any tips would be great
I don't use iPhoto, but I can't imagine that it doesn't allow you to pull the overall level down.

Now keep in mind, I'm really talking about shooting in RAW for maximum dynamic range. If you're shooting straight to jpeg, then you can't push things as far as I do. Your images are good enough that you should really consider shooting in RAW if you don't already.

Shooting in RAW you gain a stop or two of dynamic range, total white balance flexibility and much more flexibility in post processing. By PP, I mean either just RAW conversion in a software like Lightroom, DxO or Digital Photo Pro. I just set levels, contrast and the RGB curve and then crop. Lots of people do way more in Photoshop, but many just do their RAW conversion and that's it.

For nature shots, if you enter contests, you're not allowed to manipulate the image by cloning out stuff you don't want and adding other things, like a light in the eye. So, if you think that you might enter contests in the future, then you minimize your modifications to your nature shots.

Dave