View Single Post
      03-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #66
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

It began with with SAVs, then Motorsport SAVs, and now FWD.
Except the introduction of SAVs and Motorsport SAVs did nothing to reduce the quality of BMW coupes and sedans and non-SAV Motorsport products. The current 3, 5 and 7 series cars are clearly superior to their predecessors (we are talking about mechanical superiority; styling is more subjective). Ditto for current M models. In fact, X5 and X3 are hugely profitable and without them, BMW would have less money for R&D (not to mention, BMW's sales would fall behind Mercedes and Audi).

If you read the article carefully, you will understand that the FWD platform is for the upcoming subcompact model (the '0-series'). Most likely, it will share it's platform with the Mini. I don't see any chance of BMW switching to FWD with the 3-series and larger cars.

BMW is first and foremost in the business of making money. Currently, subcompacts are the hottest market segment in Europe and luxury brands are also entering it. We are talking about tiny cars with short wheelbases, high center of gravity, and weak 4-cylinder engines (i.e. Mercedes A and B class) designed for rush hour city driving. RWD would be a bit of a waste on a vehicle like that.
Appreciate 0