View Single Post
      10-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
"Looks good but in reality that setup will not sound very good. Bass will get trapped in the trunk."

On what grounds do you have to support that claim?
I'm no audio expert, so it's mostly conjecture here and some anecdotal observations...

1) The corner loading benefit "I believe" is dependent on how high they are crossed over. If, for example, they had the sub crossed at 100hz, it's possible that the energy reflected off the front and back sides of the car create a standing wave that's beneficial to your output. Depending on the skill of whoever is designing the sound system, I've heard of people picking up 6-12db via just the standing wave.

2) This is also dependent on the vehicle, but in mine, I have no fold down seats and no ski pass through. So, the effect would be the same as if I put a subwoofer in another room with the door closed.

edit:
Also, (this is easily reproduce-able too) I've seen many vehicles who's subs sounded louder with the ski pass down, or the split folding seats down, so it's obvious that there is some drop off.
That drop off comes from backwaves cancelling your output. As subs fire back, you'll get output bounced back forward into the cabin. With corner loading, you'll have less backwaves to cancel your output.

edit:
It's because of the possibility of backwaves cancelling out sound that I think is why kaigoss69 loves his Infinite Baffle setup.
The theory is that the frontal cone is actually in the cabin of the car (through ski pass), using the entire trunk as one big giant box. The theoretical backwave would be sealed off from penetrating forward. So all you'd have is the frontal wave with no cancellations.

Last edited by Wongway; 10-06-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0