View Single Post
      09-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #51
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
If you thought someone was getting a weapon out of their vehicle with the intent of using it against you, where would you point your firearm?

You'll never see an officer use less than lethal options against an armed suspect. Tasers and pepper spray are options to use when subduing unarmed people.

The point i'm making is that the officer seems to have genuinely thought the victim was reaching in his vehicle for a weapon. No one capable of LE pistol qualification lands what amounts to a single, errant, lucky shot out of 4 from a range of 10' unless they are consumed / overcome with fear and adrenaline.

Once you realize that evident fact, the incident boils down to procedural mistakes that lead to officer being in a situation where he felt he had to defend himself with deadly force. Those are HUGE mistakes and you can be sure that departments across the county will be using this video as a training tool showing what NOT to do.

I'm on the fence as to what type of punishment is warranted for the officer. So i'm asking you guys; what is justice in this situation? The victim while experiencing being shot, recover, therapy, possibly a life long physical disability, will ultimately be well compensated for this. Judging by how a woman who was beat up by a cop settled for $1.5mil, this victim will likely get 3 or 4x that figure. So what is fair and just punishment for the cop?
My point was he should NOT be a cop because he exhibits poor judgement to put himself in such a position where he feels compelled to open fire /andor is incompable of proper judgement when to fire.

If he is going to startle the suspect, he should expect a startle response, no? Failed that judgement.
Don't startle, guy moves at normal speed.
Startle, EXPECT he will move rapidly to comply with whatever YOU are telling him to do - the brain has no time to think in that situation.
So... unfit to be a cop.

I don't know what is fair punishment, but I think it is hard legally to punish him for anything. Everything is on the PD for hiring him and compensate the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
I should get armed just so I can at least die trying to fight back, or a lot better than walking around in a bulletproof vest.
not going to help when they can't aim and shot u everywhere BUT the torso
Appreciate 0