03-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Yes there is a strong body of evidence based experience that shows targeted ketogenic dieting combined with weight training can be muscle sparing. In other words it's a way of losing more fat and less muscle compared to normal calorie restriction.

The diet is the tricky part because moving your body out of carbohydrate fuelled mode (normal) and into ketogenic mode (fat based) is not easy. You need to eat less than 30g of carbs a day to enter and stay in ketosis. The rest of the calories you want are your indicated maximum protein and then the balance in fat.

You end up eating a lot of meat and fats. Stuff like MCT, cheese, cream, etc. There are some very good publications on exactly what to do and there were some great forums for lowcarb believers. I haven't been a believer since about 1998 so I don't have the latest info but google for lowcarb and ketogenic.

I can from my own experience tell you that ketogenic dieting does work and work well. I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it these days.

Lyle McDonald is the guru and the latest book I know of is the V2 of his first Ketogenic dieting (and training) bible. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Also look here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer6.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Be careful, the devil is in the details with keto dieting. My first advice is to get some Ketostix and use them every morning. They are test papers you piss on first thing which will let you know if you actually in ketosis or not. Doing a halfassed ketogenic cycle is worthless, you've got to get into ketosis and stay there.

Sounds to me like you're eating way too many carbs to be in ketosis.

As for how much to eat, you need to be on top of your BMR.

BMR and calories
BMR is basal metabolic rate and is the energy expended by your body to merely be alive. In clinical tests BMR is measured after a person has sleep for 8 hours and has eaten nothing for 12 hours and remains in a reclined position. It's the amount of calories you use by doing nothing at all.

BMR is important for both training and fat loss because it's an approximation of how many calories you require each day to stay exactly as you are. Not to gain any mass or lose any mass.

There are online calculators that help you get an approximate value for your BMR. Check out this one http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Now for fat loss or for mass gain the same rules apply. The recommendation is a 10-20% variance in calories either way. So for an aggressive mass loss phase, I would target to eat 20% less calories than my BMR.
Seriously, thanks for the links. I want to try it out for a calendar month, or maybe two if I can motivate myself self to stay consistent.
Appreciate 0