View Single Post
      01-09-2023, 12:52 PM   #19
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I have 3 old British motorcycles and had them insured with 'regular' insurers. Went to Hagerty and save a good bit. I think Hagerty looks at the age, rarity and the likelihood the vehicle gets driven very much. My bikes get nearly nil mileage some years. Anyone would know a 1966 Triumph is going to spend most of the time in a garage. The non collectible insurers simply look at it as a motorcycle and charged accordingly. I'm not at all surprised Hagerty wouldn't insure the 1er.
It's all a moot point since they don't cover the 1 and there's nothing we can do about it, but it does make an interesting discussion.

I guess I do treat the 1 like a collectible now. I don't take it to places where it would sit unwatched in a parking lot for more than a few minutes. I park far away from hazards if I do stop somewhere. I only take it out when I know there won't be storms and I always park it in the garage otherwise. I treat my daily like shit even thought it's more valuable than the 1, but the 1 is quirky, rare, and a source of joy every time I drive it.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 3