View Single Post
      02-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
1. They live in the States, so they don't know what they're missing when it comes to high rpm, fast driving.
2. They don't understand engine torque equals acceleration, not horsepower; and gearing is a torque multiplier. The N54 has very respectable torque in terms of the motor only, but the overall gearing makes it yield much less than your car (much much less). Your car puts down measurably more torque to the pavement, which is why it's quicker; and being a NA motor with individual throttle bodies the throttle repsonse can't be matched. Plus your car is geared for a much higher top speed, and only rev limited in 6th gear.

Ultimately the cars are world's apart when you look at every aspect. That's not meant to be contentious, just the simple truth. There are many reasons why one would buy a 135i over a new M3, but "better" and "more fun" are not two of them. Comparing the two really makes no sense. You get what you pay for. No one in their right mind would take a 135i over a M3 if price weren't a factor.
First of all I would like to say that I don't want to argue with anyone. M3 is a cracking car with a very good grip. I love it. It's obvious that stock for stock it will outperform 135i on the track. And now to part two. I don't know why some people just can't accept that the 135i is a cracking car as well (it's not meant to be M car). Regarding gearing and power to the pavement - why is it then with it's tall gearing just as fast as a short geared Z4 M?

Just searched youtube and those are two videos I found (within 30 seconds):

135i:

M3:

Pick up a stopwatch and tell me about huge difference in acceleration (between 100 and 210 km/h)...

P.S. Just to be clear - if the price difference between both cars wasn't so huge I think I would have taken the M3. But as a daily driver it's hard to justify the extra cost (base price 41000 EUR vs 74000 EUR) for roughly the same performance.
Appreciate 0