View Single Post
      08-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
I have my doubts. If you skim through the motortrend article, the comparison between the pdk and GM's new 8 speed auto in terms of shift speed is quoted from Kaveh. It wasn't a result of their own test. In fact, they even say that although GM claims the 8 speed auto is very close in terms of performance to the PDK, it doesn't feel as quick. Maybe it's in their head because I sure as hell don't know how a person can tell the difference between .49 seconds and .52 or how .49 seconds could feel slower than .52 seconds to begin with. I don't see these transmissions beating something like a pdk. Maybe a ZF
Yeah I read that in the Motor Trend review, but in the other two reviews they said they felt just as fast as the pdk. Like you said how could you even feel a slight difference like that.

Quote:
Down to it then. Executing shifts in manual mode feels dual-clutch quick, for sure. The Chevy guys were puffing out their chests talking about the speed of this 8AT versus Porsche's PDK, and the truth is that the reaction time from paddle-pull to upshift is right there. At least, as that's what my imperfect human brain can suss out – any advantage to the quickest dual clutches I've yanked would require a machine to judge.
Appreciate 0