07-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Mineral White Metall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
What a load of bollocks and bunkum

Drifting a standard 335i on a high traction piece of track requires skill in both steering and throttle control. The problem with oversteer is that it needs loads of confidence because the BIG problem comes with RWD when you chicken out and suddenly back off. Why would you have confidence issues? Because the standard 335i doesn't handle like an M3 with its M-Diff LSD, which makes a gentle transition into oversteer. The 335i's transition into oversteer is far more sudden. Because of this, expert drivers in a 335i will provoke oversteer so they know exactly when the transition is coming.

For public roads, the 335i is set up to be a fast, safe car with electronics precisely designed to keep you away from any sudden, very difficult-to-catch chassis transitions.

In low grip situations its another ball game altogether. Here a 335i is downright snappy and you would never want to find its limits accidentally, ('scuse the pun). With electronic safety measures switched off, when pushed over the limit the rear can spin up instantaneously and snap into a spin in milli-seconds that even the best drivers would struggle to catch.

Trying to find the limits of a car like the 335i, indeed any car on public roads is asking for trouble. The car has lots of instantaneous power and mountains of torque and lacks the sophisticated suspension and diff ala M car, designed specifically to aid on-the-limit driving.

By definition, if you have to ask about finding a car's limits, you have far too little experience to go looking for them on public roads.

If you are interested in learning to drive a car at the limit, the best way to start is on a closed circuit that has plenty of space for indiscretions, in a car with a lot less power and with an instructor to guide you. That way you arrive at the scene of the accident going a lot slower and with the opportunity to learn what went wrong and why.

What you'll also probably learn is that some cars are fun to drive at the limit and others aren't.....super fast saloons designed to carry 4 or 5 adults in quiet, well padded luxury generally falling into the first category.
Thanks I appreciate this, its helped me learn a lot more
Appreciate 0