View Single Post
      05-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #66
GraemeSmith
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 - X1 2.8i XDrive

In my 2014 X1 (so a 3 Series with a different body - right?)

File formats recognized:

FAT32 (2Gb limit)
NTFS (I've attached a 1Tb drive and it read it)

ex-FAT - not recognized

I'm trying to work out the file size limit with NTFS. I'm thinking in addition to a file NUMBER - the file name length might be a factor - so nesting within multiple folders could create long and unreadable/un-indexible file names.

It is clear that the system reads and displays hidden files. So I'm also exploring:

On a COPY of your music - set your computer to show hidden files.

Search your folder structures for:

desktop.ini
thumbs.db
*.jpg
*.pdf (a few albums come with digital booklets which won't play!)

and delete them all as each folder will contain these. Deleting the JPG's will not delete album art if it is already stored in your music ID tag.

--

Copy this folder structure to a freshly formatted USB memory stick or pocket drive. (I've had some success with USB3 pocket drives running in the car's USB2 sockets).

Do not copy the System Information or $Recycle Bin hidden folders.

--

If you edit your drive - you are going to generate a $RecycleBin folder - Make sure to delete it to keep the file count down.

--

To force a re-index of any drive you try - give it a name you have not used before.

--

By this method I have about 45,000 song files working by the Directory Structure search. I've given up with a genre / artist / album title search. Can't get that to index at all.
Appreciate 0